Today we’re talking about the fluffiest of the fluff, real fluff masterpieces, a flufftastic fiasco. If you couldn't tell by now, we fluff hard at SpiritHoods. I mean who doesn’t, right? Isn’t that why you're here?
No, we’re not talking urban dictionary definitions of fluff, we’re talking fluffy throws and blankets. Heck, most of us have fluffy dogs because we love fluff balls with personality! Faux fur blankets and throws are just that, a cozy experience that adds a depth of character and personality to your home.
They tell your visitors a little bit about you when they walk into your home. Are you the mysterious type adorning your abode in magnificent and rich furs, dark colors, and giant crystal skulls? Or are you a purveyor of boho chic musings, incense, and tarot decks? Maybe you like it all clean and contemporary with a pinch of plush faux fur decorating your living room chair in all white?
Whatever the case, we’re here to shed a little light on the pros and cons of the differing throws and blankets, and of course our top 10 faves.
Throws vs. Blankets: What the Fluff is the Difference?
To start, let's differentiate between faux fur throws and blankets real quick. Though we all use the term interchangeably, blankets tend to be larger in size than throws, causing them to be used most often in the bedroom. After all, we can’t rule out a good ole drizzly Sunday morning wrapped up in a giant faux fur blanket, sipping a cup of hot chocolate, and taking in a two hour dose of Midnight in Paris.
Throws however, as you might have guessed, tend to be used in the living areas of the home and are smaller in size, thus more manageable. You’ll find these are welcome pretty much anywhere in the home, from the living room to the patio, bedroom, and even the dining room (like say on the back of your favorite dining chair).
Faux Fur is the Fluff for You
The easiest way to think about faux fur blankets and throws and how they’ll impact the feel of your home is that they tend to soften and warm up a place. They can often be used easily to balance a room. For example, if you have a sleek, minimalist aesthetic, adding a faux fur throw or blanket will draw you in, softening the space while still giving you that air of sophistication and minimalism originally intended.
Faux fur blankets can be used pretty much anywhere you’d consider lounging, cuddling, napping, or being entertained!
Pros of Faux Fur Throws and Blankets
There are a ton of pros to dressing your coziest spaces in fluff.
A Good Quality Throw
Good quality throws range in softness and price, but typically the higher priced items will blow your mind and melt your troubles away. Putting a good quality faux fur blanket over your body feels like strands of silky hair are cradling your whole being and coercing you into a cozy stupor. No exaggeration.
They Provide Great Warmth
They’re all warm, but depending on pile length and materials, some can be MUCH warmer than others. This means that there is a faux fur blanket or throw for every season!
They Are AffordableThey’re not overly expensive. Higher-end blankets and throws are 100% worth it though as they last longer, are more resilient, and you never tire of the silky feeling they give off.
Cons of Faux Fur Blankets and Throws
Let’s not fool ourselves here, there are a few cons to using these splendidly fluffy snuggle tools but they’re mostly related to quality. It’s not new that you tend to get what you pay for, right?
Faux Fur Can Shed
Faux fur blankets and throws shed a little. But, depending on quality, some shed more than others. So, it’s important to shop with a reputable brand that knows what they’re doing.
Dry Cleaning May Be Necessary
Washing a throw is relatively easy, but washing an extra-large blanket can be a little cumbersome. Dry cleaning can help alleviate the headache of washing either a throw or a blanket, but still, it’s work.
Not Always the Best for SnugglingThe long pile faux fur throws or blankets are more of a statement piece as they tend to look more luxurious, but sometimes the longer hairs of the throw can tickle your face—a truth bomb we just can’t ignore! But hey, sometimes it’s looks over function.
How To Pick a Faux Fur Blanket or Throw
There are a variety of types of faux fur blankets to choose from, but we’ve compiled a list of our favorites to make shopping easier!
The Two Types of Materials: Polyester and Acrylic Throws
There are mainly two types of materials used when making faux fur throws and blankets: acrylic or polyester (but sometimes a blend). This is important to note because typically polyester throws are more common, tend to be shorter pile lengths, and are often solid colors or dual color blends. The backside of most polyester faux fur blankets and throws tends to be a soft fleece-type lining that usually won't disappoint! You’ll find reasonable throws at places like West Elm, Pottery Barn, and Z Gallerie, to name a few.
Alternatively, you’ll see faux fur blankets and throws made from acrylic. These materials allow for a much wider array of colors and pile lengths, are more capable of mimicking real animal furs, and can be found in both larger blankets and smaller throws.
Because the fur pile can range in length from either short, long, or a mix of the two, acrylic based throws have more variety of styles to choose from. Many of the highest quality faux furs are made from acrylic and they too can be incredibly soft without harming our furry friends.
These types of blankets and throws or a mix of both polyester and acrylic versions can be found with brands like Fabulous Furs, Arhaus, Restoration Hardware, us (of course), and a few others.
A Size Guide
Depending on what you're in the market for, how often you’ll be using your fur, and where you want to use it, sizing is a big consideration.
For accent pieces and light furniture decor in a solid color, it may be easiest to go with a lightweight polyester throw and pick a size that seems best suited to the furniture you’ll be accenting.
Alternatively, if you're looking for a throw that is more realistic to the colors of an animal, your best bet is to go with an acrylic based throw. Just keep in mind these styles will naturally be fluffier (yes, that’s the technical term), and fluffiness is an important part of the visual appearance of the blanket being used to decorate. The fluffier the throw or blanket, the bigger it appears and the more room it takes up as either a show stopper or an accent piece.
If you're looking for a statement piece, consider going with a more plush, longer pile, traditional faux fur (aka made from acrylic).
Lastly, if you're going on adventures a lot, consider the weight of the blanket or how thick and full it appears to determine if it’s too cumbersome to carry with you into the wild! Typically, it’s easier to carry a shorter pile fur in with you on adventures, so keep that in mind when deciding on a travel companion.
SpiritHoods throws are wearable which is kind of awesome.This is partly for fun, but it also prevents the throw from dragging on the ground when you’re moving about in the wild (or at home).
This is really a personal preference, so figuring out what your goal is for incorporating a faux fur throw or blanket into the chosen space is the first step.
Styling Questions to Consider
Are you wanting to soften the space?
Is it primarily for aesthetics?
Do you intend to cozy the F#&* up and need a showstopper?
The answers to these will determine whether you get a lusher, premium throw, a neutral or animal print colorway, or an expensive or more affordable option.
Our Top Ten List of the Best Faux Fur Throws and Blankets
Okay, let’s kick this off with a little creativity, shall we? Coming in hot with the most deliciously inspiring creative twist on a throw, Houzz.com!
- Flüffelbuster Throw
- Pottery Barn’s Ruched Throws
- Luxe Dyed Faux Fur Throw Blanket
- The Faux Fur Brady Blanket by Apparis
- Silver Throw by Lili Alessandra
- Donna Salyer's Canadian Fox Faux Fur
- Arhaus Luxe Faux Fur Throw
- RH Ultimate Faux Fur Throw
- The Perigold Stella Throw
- Forest Green Faux Fur Throw
- The Flüffelbuster Throw by Houzz.com has got to be our personal favorite of the entire top 10. With a name like that and a product description that will leave you smiling, how can you not be in love? Flüffelbuster fan for life!
- Pottery Barn’s Ruched Throws are a little more neutral for those less interested in the pom poms! Versatile in function and color and low price, it is also lightweight for easy travel.
- Anthropologie’s Luxe Dyed Faux Fur Throw Blanket is another great neutral at an incredible price. The Polyester throws come in a variety of colors, is lightweight, and great for all your quick cuddle needs before you're forced into the big guns for winter!
- Coming in 4th is The Brady Blanket by Apparis’ only animal inspired faux fur blanket (obviously we love it). Great price, lightweight, small, and portable.
- Silver Throw by Lili Alessandra has a little more decadence and luxurious weight and feel to it. Another great neutral faux fur throw, it is grey in color that can go with just about any aesthetic. This grey faux fur blanket has an ultra-plush feel and will keep you warm and toasty on the up and coming (or already here) winter nights!
- Donna Salyer's Canadian Fox Faux Fur is another great choice for a little more color and animal inspiration. Offering a luxurious and contemporary feel, these cozy rustic and chinchilla style faux fur blankets and throws come in larger sizes and are a great winter choice.
- Arhaus Luxe Faux Fur Throw is a beautiful brown faux fur blanket with surprisingly stunning product photography, making it hard not to be totally enamored by it. All we can say is for the price, quality, and colorway, this is a seriously delicious throw!
- RH Ultimate Faux Fur Throw is a great natural looking animal inspired brown faux fur blanket with tan, brown, and grey tones. There are several other colorways to choose from and none of them disappoint.
- The Perigold Stella Throw is giving us some much-needed color in our lives! Thank you for this glorious splash of contemporary pink that has us drooling over here. Who says you gotta go neutral? Live a little! This pink faux fur blanket is soft and spectacular. Price $337.50
- Forest Green Faux Fur Throw from Faux Fur Throws in London is the last stop in our selection of blankets! In all transparency, this last blanket is purely a vote for color and nothing else. It’s nothing special when it comes to blankets other than the fact that they nailed the color, and we must pay homage to a typically hard to find Forest Green colorway! In the right room, this throw will make your jaw drop.
Why Choose SpiritHoods?
Latif Hamilton and the team at SpiritHoods have been servicing the world with high quality and affordable faux fur products for more than a decade. Not only do we strive to provide the most unique and beautiful faux fur apparel, home goods, and headwear to our community, we have served the animal kingdom by donating 10% of net profits to nonprofits dedicated to the conservation of endangered animals.
We honor all companies that act as a voice for the animal kingdom by choosing to go fur-free and help end the use of real fur in the marketplace. We believe that to change the world, we must come together and be a voice for those that cannot speak!